Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Eating for One!


            Have you ever noticed at the store everything comes in such huge packages. It may be that I live in a vastly commercial town where everything is big box stores and restaurant chains, but I often have trouble buying for two without having a supply of items for months. This brings me to my inspiration and current situation.

            So, I am alone for a few days and have a habit of not eating like I should. I still try to eat healthy, but I always revert back to bachelorette-hood, eating simply. My diet when eating alone usually consist of fruit, plain salads, sandwiches and of course my favorite, chips and salsa. I realize this is not the best way to eat, eating for one should be just as good as cooking for many. I have quite a few friends that have this issue as well; usually they eat out a lot when they want a variety of food. I feel as though with a few tricks you can mix things up through the week, and still feel like you have a variety.

            One of the biggest problems I used to have is wanting something that I didn’t feel like I could eat alone, such as watermelon or pineapple. Sure, you could always ask your produce clerk to cut one up for you, but they are always sweeter and fresher whole. This is my goal when planning out meals for one.


Monday: Honey glazed grilled Chicken, Pineapple, and cashew salad.

Tuesday: Salmon with basil and lemon sauce, whole-wheat pasta, veggies.

Wednesday: Sweet and sour tofu, salad, rice.

Thursday: Grilled turkey sausages, quinoa, and mango fruit salsa.

Friday: Go out, its Friday, you cooked all week!


Sweet and Sour Sauce

1 c pineapple (cut into chunks)
¼ c cornstarch
1 c water
¼ c soy sauce
½ c rice vinegar
¾ c brown sugar

            In a saucepan, combine water, soy sauce, vinegar and brown sugar. Add in cornstarch, allow to thicken, and then add pineapple chunks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment