Thursday, July 7, 2011

You Say Potato...

            So, potatoes are the story today. Although potatoes are not the usual food to eat when it is blazing hot outside, I recently had a flashback to my childhood and had to share this story. I ate at a fast food joint that I won’t mention the name, but they served mash potatoes at it (not too hard to figure out). The potatoes at this establishment were close to the instant form, and for a long time that is all I knew. I thought real mash potatoes were this impossible task to make and were only available on Thanksgiving for a long time. I can’t even tell you how many times I ate instant mash potatoes (with corn) as a dinner and was completely content with them. It wasn’t until I started viewing hanging out in the kitchen as something fun over a chore that I began to learn to make different recipes. Then I learned to make how to make mash potatoes, and my mind was blown! How so very easy. At first I was pissed, I was deprived of this amazing dish for so long. Shortly after I cooled off, and my new found of mashed potatoes turned to happiness and that I could make it whenever I wanted.  It is so easy to make your own mash potatoes, and from that day forward I never went back to instant.

            This potato story can pertain to cooking pretty much anything. Just attempting to learn a new process can make you realize how simple some items really are to do. Sure, it is easy to run down to a fast food joint or pizza place (and I never say to cut these out, moderation is key) but it is easier and cheaper to make your own food. I would recommend trying around once a week some type of new technique, and you may realize how much easier it is. As a continuation to my story, I want to mention the glorious nature of potatoes (if you can’t tell, I love them). They often have a bad reputation, when people think of potatoes they think of starch, French fries, and Atkins diet. The average russet potato has carbohydrates, it is true, but they can provide you with energy for the day. Potatoes are also high in fiber and even have more potassium than bananas. To mix potatoes up you can try sweet potatoes, they are a good way to add to your diet, and are full of beta-carotene and vitamin C. Overall, erase the negative view you have potatoes, try a cooking strategy, and try this potato recipe out!

            Mashed Potatoes

            4 Yukon gold potatoes
            1 sweet potato
            1 T plain yogurt
            1 T unsalted butter
            ½ c milk
            Salt and Pepper

            Cut up the Yukon potatoes (skins on), peel and cut up the sweet potato. Boil the potatoes in the water until they are soft. Drain the water; place the potato in a bowl. Add the yogurt, butter and milk and blend well. You can use a masher or a mixer depending on what texture you prefer your potatoes. Add the salt and pepper to your liking and enjoy.

            You can always spice this recipe up by adding other alternatives to them. Garlic, basil, cinnamon or rosemary can mix these potatoes up. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment