Thursday, April 21, 2011

I heart baking


            Baking, it is something I have always loved and sometimes loathed. My first memory of baking was with my grandma when I was five and we were attempting to make sweet bread. Somehow, we messed up the recipe and ended up putting four pounds of flour instead of four cups. I remember this giant heap getting larger and larger on the counter, making tons of flavorless bread, while we were laughing all along. Looking back now, as an experienced baker, this story always makes me laugh. Although mistakes still happen in the kitchen, I have not made one this large, and it is always nice to have this memory to look back on.

            I discovered my passion for baking was when I working at an all-natural grocery store. I worked as a baker and a cake decorator, and got to learn a lot of great techniques. I learned how to create different types of bread, as well as learning how to create items due to people’s allergies and special needs. My respect for my product increased when I began to work at a different bakery that was much more industrial and cared a lot less about their product. They were all about making the most profit possible, not the best product. They didn’t even have a mixer in their entire bakery! How are you supposed to bake a cake without a mixer? I began realizing the importance of having passion for your food while making it instead of just producing something to make money. It also made me sad how people would buy from the industrial bakery the cheapest, and crappiest products that had no benefit but to act as a filler. When so many better options were available at no extra cost.

            Now, I realize that I truly care about making delicious products that taste wonderful. You know when you eat something wonderful, than look at the calories, and it all makes sense. I want people to be amazed by the health content of something that taste so amazing. I like to try new recipes, help people out with their allergies, and ultimately make things that are affordable while being nutritious. I am open to new ideas, as well as helping to create healthy life styles.

                                               
                                                                                                Shannon Rodrigues
                                                                                                True Treats

Here is a recipe you can enjoy. It is a simple bread packed with delicious flavor:

Honey Wheat Bread:
375 degrees

Ingredients:
¾ c water
1 packet of yeast
¾ c warm milk
2 T honey
2 T olive oil
I t salt
2 ½ c flour
2 c whole wheat flour

Directions:

            In a bowl, mix together yeast and hot water. Let the mixture come to a foamy texture, about five minutes. Add the warm water, honey, olive oil and salt. Mix well. Slowly add the flours, ½ cup at a time. You made not need all the flour, so start with the whole wheat.

            Knead the dough on a floured surface for fifteen minutes. Place in bowl, cover with towel, and let rise for one hour. Punch down, and roll into desired shape. Let rise another forty-five minutes. Place into oven, and cook for thirty-five minutes, it will be a dark golden brown.

                                                                                                            Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment