Thursday, September 15, 2011

Are You Ready For Fall?



            I woke up this morning and saw the first sign of fall, and I have to admit, it made me a little sad. Although I enjoy wearing hooded sweatshirts and having rainy movies days, saying goodbye to summer is always hard for me. This weekend I am going to my last summertime BBQ and my last rafting trip, and try to enjoy it as much as I can (although it isn’t going to be very warm). I am going to keep hoping the weather stays warm so my garden can finishing producing vegetables, and come up with ideas to enjoy the fall. We always seem to amuse ourselves during the cold months, finding festivals to attend and concerts to enjoy, but it is often hard to fight the sadness of summer ending. While I think much of our happiness is up to us individual, as well as sharing with others, we should always seek ways to keep us happy. I thought I would find not just activities but food that can help us increase our happiness.

            I found that skim milk, chocolate, carbohydrates, oily fish, spinach, blue berries, beans and soybeans, nuts and coffee all have components that make us happy. So, whenever you may be feeling down, incorporate one of these items in your meals. Check out this article to see what in these items make you feel happy. I also see there are a lot of ingredients in many fruits that make you feel happy, such as oranges and grapes. I feel just by eating better for you foods can increase mood as well, and it also helps that it makes you look better as well. As I mentioned before, it is all about you to make yourself happy, so make changes to be happy. It seems to work for me.

            I also feel once the bad weather comes, people stop doing things. Although I was just saying it is the end of BBQ’s and rafting, it doesn’t mean the fun has to end. I think it is important to continue to have during the cold months to help keep the positivity up. On those not-so-rainy days, a walk, throwing a frisbee, crazy dodge ball game, or maybe a hike can reconnect you with the outdoors. On those too cold or rainy days, try some really fun indoor activities, such as playing Wii, craft days, dinner party, or try new things. We often find ourselves in the toys department at stores, last winter we purchase a child’s bowling kit, and had some hallway bowling activities. It is just important to break routine, and keep a happy nature, not mattering what time of year it is.

            Although I feel we all have at least a few weeks to enjoy ourselves, being prepared can help us be ready, fight the fall-blues, and continue to have fun.

            Try these happy recipes:

Glazed Salmon Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup apple cider
1 1/4 tablespoons honey
4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 clove garlic
Salt and pepper
2 lemons
1 T butter
1 bunch fresh baby spinach
1 1/2 T white wine

Directions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place salmon in a baking dish, side by side.

Place the apple cider, garlic and honey in a sauce pan, and let boil. Stir, and let reduce to about half.

Pour the cider over the salmon, and then let it sit for 10 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add salt and pepper to salmon fillets. Place the fish in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, brushing the top with cider glaze so that the fish begins to caramelize.

Serve with pasta or rice, or possibly with bread on the side.

Blueberry Pinenut Salad

Ingredients

1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 t honey
1 head of lettuce
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 c blueberries
1/4 c toasted pine nuts
Salt and pepper

Directions

Whisk vinegar, oil, and honey in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chop lettuce and toast pinenuts. Combine greens, feta, and blueberries in large bowl. Add dressing; toss to coat. Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve.

Or just try a Mocha with some toasted soybeans.

I hope you are have a great rest of summer, let me know any fun activities you do during the cold weather. Keep being happy!

Darren & Shannon @ True Treats

No comments:

Post a Comment