Thursday, October 13, 2011

Say No to Diets!


           So I constantly run across articles talking about things not to eat or avoid, which is helpful in a way, but makes you wonder what you are suppose to eat. Also, there always seems to be a new b.s. diet claiming that your abs will be smaller in four days, or guaranteed to loss weight over the weekend. These articles annoy me, and they usually are more harmful for your body than you would think. Then there is always the how awful food of the week article. I can’t even tell you how many times I have heard that eggs were bad for you, then vis versa. It seems like every food item has been on the bad list, as well as the good. How do we know when to listen?

            I recently found this article that stands up for food that may have gotten a bad reputation. Daniel Duane, the writer, seems to have a similar idea of boundaries as I do, stating, “ we believe a good-for-you diet should include both buckwheat and bacon”, I definitely agree. It is all about moderation. To begin with the article, he stands up for bacon, letting us know that almost half of bacon is full of the good-fat, that actually helps lower our cholesterol. So there, bacon haters! The list continues with other foods that have had bad reputations or just none at all, such as whole milk, pine nuts, duck, and watercress. To see the full list and what they offer click here.

            Overall, this list just reminds me of how certain foods can get horrible reps, just by what the news and diets say. I am not saying go out there and eat some cantaloupe, more to just enjoy what you eat. I feel the more you deprive yourself out of a craving, will just lead to some crazy binging. I will admit, we usually have bacon for breakfast on one day of the weekend. It seems like knowing that there will be one day a week I get to eat it allows me to be mindful of what I eat the rest of the week.

So, if you listen to any of my advice, list to this, stay away from stupid diets. To clarify, I like cleanses, or cutting out items such as sugars or carbs. When I say stupid diets, I mean the ones that have you eating just meat and cheese, or last a few days with some ridiculous overpriced juice. Also, the way you must deprived yourself usually has a negative outcome, besides the fact that is has a negative impact on your health as well your mind. Eat what you want, be mindful of what you put into your body, and enjoy the day!

Try this balanced breakfast this weekend!

Buckwheat Pancakes

Ingredients
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons safflower oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions
                        In a large bowl, stir together wheat flour, buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, and baking powder. Stir in milk, oil, honey, and egg.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides, and serve hot.

Serve with Bacon, yum.

Smoothie

Ingredients

1 c frozen fruit
1 banana
¼ c yogurt
½ c juice

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a blender and enjoy.

           

Take care of yourself, while enjoying what you eat!

Much love from

                        True Treats
Shannon & Darren

             


No comments:

Post a Comment